Monday, June 6, 2011

Fun at Whipstitch

Before the boys were born, Phillip and I lived in a tiny loft apartment in the West Midtown part of Atlanta, back when it was still "up and coming". It has finally "came" and now there are many cool shops and restaurants in that area. We were driving through a few months ago, and I just about caused Philip to wreck when I shrieked in excitement as we drove past a new fabric store called Whipstitch

So last week, when my good friend Laura asked if I would like to accompany her to a "Modern Patchwork and Quilting" class at Whipstitch, I said "YES!"  

Yesterday after church, we first stopped by an AMAZING estate sale that I had found on Craigslist...more on that later. Then we had brunch at J. Christopher's (one of my favorite restaurants!) and headed into Atlanta. Even though Phillip and I now have our brick house in the 'burbs, we are still only about 15 minutes from West Midtown, so we have the best of both worlds!

We arrived at Whipstitch and I was immediately in love! It was such a cute shop, decorated with vintage sewing items alongside all of the beautiful fabrics. 


Our class was taught buy owner and blogger, Deborah. She had such a fun personality and did a great job teaching the class. (Remember the Gadget Bandolier that I made for Buddy's birthday? That was inspired by Deborah's guest post on Celebrate the Boy.)


She taught us the basics of patchwork and quilting, and we each made a "mini" nine patch quilt.


Here are mine and Laura's little quilts. We still have to do our homework and finish the binding by hand. Or we may cheat and finish them on our machines. Shhh, don't tell Deborah!


I am so excited about Whipstitch. I will definitely be returning to take more classes and to shop her beautiful fabrics. She had a great selection of Anna Marie Horner's new line

They also had a gorgeous dress on display that both Laura and I were drooling over. It is now on my ever-growing list of things to make.


It was a such a fun and much needed "Girl's Day Out!" And when we returned home, aside from the messy house and a saggy diaper, the kiddos and husbands were alive and well. 

Always, 

Amanda