Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Utimate Veggie Lasagna

I have asked my sister, who is a vegetarian and also a "naturally chic mama", to be a guest author on my blog to share her healthy, whole foods based recipes. Here is a great dish that she made for dinner last night. Delicious!


I created this recipe right before I went vegetarian. I was trying to cook lighter, healthier meals for my family that were still absolutely yummy. I had originally started altering my traditional lasagna recipe by replacing the noodles with whole wheat pasta and adding more veggies. Then I took it a step further and removed meat all together. One day, I was making Eggplant Parmesan and it hit me, take out the pasta completely and make a true veggie lasagna! It is definitely one of my favorite recipes to make...and eat!

Ingredients:
1 eggplant
1/2 onion
1 clove garlic
2-4 zucchini
2 cups sliced mushrooms
4 cups fresh spinach
1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
1 cup part skim ricotta
1 cup 2% mozzarella
1 vine ripened tomato
Fresh basil leaves

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Slice eggplant (with or without skin) into 1/2 inch slices, salt generously on both sides and lay on a towel. Set aside. Slice zucchini, chop onion and garlic. Heat large skillet on med-high. Add a little olive oil. Brown garlic, then add onion, mushrooms, and zucchini (add salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste). Saute for about 5-10 minutes. Set aside. Pat eggplant dry, then saute in skillet, flipping several times until browned on each side. Pour a little pasta sauce in the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish. Layer sauteed veggies, fresh spinach, ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, then slices of eggplant. Repeat this order (approximately 3x) beginning each time with the sauce. When finished layering, top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella, diced tomatoes and fresh basil leaves. Bake in the oven until cheese melts and sauce begins to bubble (about 15-20 minutes). Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!

(For a slight variation to the recipe, you can add peppers and olives to give it a "pizza lasagna" taste!)


Always, 

Amanda