Friday, September 10, 2010

Cloth Wipes and Homemade Wipe Solution

When I started cloth diapering, it didn't make sense to continue using disposable wipes. I made some cloth wipes by serging a piece of flannel and terry cloth together in a 4.5" x 7.5" rectangle to fit in my wipes warmer. The terry cloth side works great to "scrub" the baby's bottom clean, and the flannel side provides a nice finishing wipe.


As I mentioned earlier, I store my wipes in a Prince Lionheart Wipes Warmer. These can be purchased at your local Wal-Mart or Target. It keeps the wipes warm and moist, making them very easy to use. I use a homemade wipes solution that I made up of some items I had on hand. Here's my "recipe"...


In a 16 ounce bottle, combine:


Then fill up the bottle with distilled water and shake. To fill up the warmer, I place each wipe in one at a time and squirt them individually as I go. That way they are all evenly moist. I do this every 2-3 days. It works GREAT! Here are some other recipes you could try out.

I also made a stack of wipes to fit into a travel wipes case for when we are out. I leave these dry and keep a bottle of California Baby Diaper Area Wash in my bag to squirt baby's bottom before wiping. I then store the dirty wipes in my travel size wetbag along with the dirty diaper.


If you don't own a sewing machine or serger, regular wash cloths would work just fine. In my opinion, cloth wipes are the way to go!


Always, 

Amanda