I used these gauzy, tulle-like curtains that I purchased specifically for this project a while back from IKEA for $4.99. I'm sure you could also find something similar at your local fabric store.
After washing and drying the curtains, I folded one panel over a couple of times and with my fabric scissors, I roughly cut about two and a half feet off of the bottom of the curtain. This gave me a more workable size of fabric.
Using my cutting board and rotary cutter, I cut four squares that measured approximately 24"x24".
On two of the squares I cut, I was able to utilize the existing finished edge for the top of the bags.
On the other two, I sewed a simple hem across the top by rolling the edge down twice. You could also serge this end if you have a serger. I didn't worry about measuring or pinning, because these bags are more for function than cuteness.
After hemming the top edge or identifying the already finished edge, I simple folded the square in half and sewed a simple stitch across the bottom and up the side. Then I sewed a second seam across the bottom just for extra durability.
After this I simply clipped my long threads and turned the bag right side out, so that the seams were on the inside.
And it's as simple as that! I made 4 bags in under 30 minutes.
I just put them with my totes for my next trip to the store. If you have trouble forgetting your totes at home like I sometimes do, here are some tips I shared before to help you remember to take them with you.
Always,
Amanda